To commemorate the opening of the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Topps has dedicated set six of their Throwback Thursday series to today’s Olympic stars. The six cards follow the design of the 1985 Topps subset which honored the 1984 Olympic Baseball Team.
The cards, which will be available for one week only, cover four sports and six of America’s greatest athletes competing in the games. The checklist for this set is as follows:
- 31 – Lindsey Vonn (Alpine skiing)
- 32 – Chloe Kim (Snowboarding)
- 33 – Elana Meyers Taylor (Bobsled)
- 34 – Meryl Davis (Figure skating)
- 35 – Adam Rippon (Figure skating)
- 36 – Karen Chen (Figure skating)
The design of this Throwback Thursday edition comes from 1985 Topps Baseball. In that set, cards 389-404 were dedicated to the 1984 Olympic Baseball team and featured a design different from the rest of the set. The most famous of those cards is #401, Mark McGwire, and the entirety of that set can easily be found on eBay for cheaper than this Throwback Thursday set.
- 2018 Olympic Games will be the last for Lindsey Vonn, who has competed in three previous games.
- Chloe Kim, at 17, is competing in her first winter games.
- Elana Meyers Taylor won a bronze medal at the 2010 games and a silver in 2014.
- Meryl Davis added “Dancing with the Stars” champion to her list of Olympic and World Championship medals in 2014.
- Adam Rippon is making news off the ice as the first openly gay man to compete on the American team.
- Karen Chen, who is 18, is competing in her first Olympics. The figure skater hails from Fremont, California, as did former Olympic superstar, Kristi Yamaguchi.