1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Tony Frye
Admin
Topic starter
(@tfrye)
100+ Club

I can't believe we're down to the final two episodes of this masterpiece.

This episode felt like a departure while it was happening but in the hour or so since I finished it and had time to think about it, I think it was a pretty great episode.

For starters, you have the groundwork for what we can only assume is Gene's downfall but it's framed with parallels to Saul's downfall and, potentially, to Jimmy's downfall. Was Kim on the other end of the phone booth call? Is another man with cancer going to be the catalyst for the end? With each incarnation of Jimmy/Saul/Gene, he gets worse instead of better. Jimmy scammed for sport with maybe a hint of self-preservation. Saul scammed out of greed and lust. Gene is, seemingly, scamming out of pure evil. His cons get larger and more damaging with each new "personality" that he assumes because he doesn't learn from his mistakes. 

We really see this when he flat out ignores Mike's warning to steer clear of Walter White. Then, at the end of the episode, we see him entering Walt's school -- a move that would ignite the end of Saul -- intercut with him entering the latest mark's house -- a move that may ignite the end of Gene.

Of all the season 6 episodes so far, I feel like this one would benefit the most from a rewatch because in classic Saul/BB style, on the surface it seems like not much is going on but in reality an entire season's worth of exposition took place. 

I don't want the show to end but I also can't wait for the final two episodes!

Topic Tags
Share: